Safely Buying and Selling Online
POSTED IN ADVICE ON WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2, 2016
5 tips to help you safely buy and sell online.
As the digital world expands, so do digital transactions. Whether you are buying an item online, or selling your items online, be sure that you are always staying safe. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you buy and sell online.
- Never use your personal information. Remember, this is a business transaction between consumers. Do not give out your address, business's address, Social Security number, or banking information, and do not wire funds.
- Use email. Most online buying/selling sites, such as Craigslist, have their own email service within the site. Use the email service provided so that you do not have to give your own email.
- Always do transactions during the day. Not only does this provide extra security, but the daylight also allows you as the buyer or seller to inspect the item to ensure it is in the same condition as expected.
- Bring a buddy. Always bring a friend as an extra pair of eyes and ears, and be sure to tell someone else about the transaction and where you are going.
- Always, ALWAYS meet in a public place. If the item is small, meet at a coffee shop or other public area. If the items are too large, move them to your garage or outside so that nobody needs to come into your home.
And remember, most of the people you do business with online are honest, but if at any time you feel uncomfortable or uneasy, do not go through with the transaction. Trust your instincts. You are always able to walk away.