File at no cost


Find out if you qualify for free tax filing.

Start thinking now about your tax filing plan so that you can file as soon as you receive the necessary forms.

You may qualify for free tax filing if your income is less than $66,000 or if you can claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), the Child and Dependent Care Credit or an education credit.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) is run by volunteer tax preparation professionals. If you’re age 60 or older, you may also qualify for assistance through the Tax Counseling for the Elderly program, which works the same. These volunteers can help you file your federal and state tax returns for free.

Call ahead to ask what documents you need to bring, which will likely include:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letters for you, your spouse and dependents 
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for all in your household
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Your bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit
  • Total paid for day care provider’s tax ID number
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements

These services are typically offered at local community centers. To find free tax filing assistance near you, go to and enter your ZIP code. The results will indicate whether you need an appointment and the languages in which services are provided at each location.

For more tips on how to save and budget your expenses or to talk about your individual financial situation, fill out the form below.

Form fields

Contact us

Let's discuss your successful financial future.

Locate a Branch

Locations in Iowa and Nebraska to serve you.

Image of Veridian Branch