Online Dating Fraud
Posted in Advice on Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Money scams in online dating: what to watch for
The world of online dating has made meeting new people easier and more convenient, but it has also given rise to a new type of scam: a romance scam. Although you may be excited about a newfound relationship, there are a few warning signs to watch for.
- The scammer wants you to communicate off of the site through your personal phone or email, even deleting their online dating profile altogether.
- They have asked you to set up a new bank account.
- They have asked you to wire money.
What can you do to protect yourself on an online dating site?
- You can image search a profile picture. If you see many accounts with the same profile picture, or if the picture is a professional stock photography image, you are probably dealing with a scammer.
- Be cautious with your information. Never give out personal information.
- Never wire money to someone you met online. You could be committing fraud without even knowing it.
If you believe you've been a victim, report the romance scam at ftc.gov/complaint, as well as local authorities.