What is an ITIN?
An ITIN is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, for example: 9XX-7X-XXXX. Unless they meet an exception, individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN.
Do I need an ITIN?
If you do not have a Social Security Number and are not eligible to obtain one, but you would like to open an interest-bearing account, apply for a loan, or you need a federal tax identification number to file a federal income tax return, you will need to apply for an ITIN.
Applying for an ITIN with Veridian
If you are applying for an ITIN, Veridian Credit Union can help you complete the needed Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The forms are also available in English and Spanish at IRS offices or in a community center near you. In order to apply for an ITIN, you will need two types of identification that show your name and photograph. Below is a list of acceptable documents:
- Passport - If a passport is presented, it is not necessary to show other identification
- National identification card including matricula consular card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
- U.S. driver's license
- Civil birth certificate (required for dependents under 18 years of age)
- Foreign driver's license
- U.S. state identification card
- Foreign voter's registration card
- U.S. military identification card
- Foreign military identification card
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification
You can visit one of the following branches to apply for an ITIN:
Ankeny and Des Moines
Waterloo and Cedar Falls
Cedar Rapids and Iowa City